Doctorate of Philosophy in Microbiology is a research-based doctoral program in Microbiology. This course includes the extensive study of microorganisms. It covers the aspects like genetics, Biochemistry and Physiology of microorganisms. The minimum requirement to join this PhD is the Master’s in Microbiology or a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) degree.
- 1 Skills Required for the Research Scholars in Biology
- 2 Highlights of the Course
Skills Required for the Research Scholars in Biology
- Interpersonal skills: the students who want to be a research scholar should develop an interaction skill with others for listening, speaking and questioning skills
- Team-work: the students should adjust themselves to work with others in both formally and informally situations of a project.
- Problem-solving skills: As we mentioned, this a research-based program the students should able to identify the problem in course of study and find suitable solutions for the problem.
- Dedication: The research work takes a long time to find out the desired results. The dedicated and passionate mind can work wholeheartedly even if it takes time and cost.
Highlights of the Course
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Microbiology|
|Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s in Microbiology|
|Employment Areas||Food and Drink IndustryColleges & UniversitiesForensic Science LabsEnvironmental Agencies|
|Job Roles||Technical SpecialistMedical TechnologistClinical Laboratory Scientist|
PhD in Microbiology is a research-based program which has considered as the highest level of qualification on an academic aspect.
Duration of the Course
The minimum period of this program is three years and the maximum period is five years. But the exact period of a research-based program is unpredictable. Because the completion of the program depends on the derivation of the desired results from the research works.
Eligibility of the Course
- The minimum eligibility required for the PhD in Microbiology is Master’s in Microbiology with a minimum mark of 55% from any recognised university.
- The M.Phil. graduates can also apply for the program.
Admission Process of PhD in Biology
- The admission procedures for PhD in Microbiology differs from universities and colleges. Along with the master’s or M.Phil qualification, some universities may conduct their entrance examinations and interview rounds for the selection procedures.
- The National Eligibility Test (NET) Holders or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) holders have the priorities for joining the PhD programs.
- The research proposal of the respective candidates may also consider in the selection process. So, the preparation and presentation of a research proposal have its importance in the admission procedures.
Syllabus of the Course
The subjects that generally includes in this program are as follows:
- Diversity of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Microbes
- Microbial Physiology and Metabolism
- Molecular Biology
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Microbial Genetics
- Industrial and Food Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Plant-Pathogen Interaction
- Microbial Pathogenicity
- Classification, Morphology and Chemistry of Viruses
- Working with viruses
- Virus replication Strategies
- Replication patterns of specific viruses
- Subviral pathogens
- Pathogenesis of viral infection
- History and development of plant virology, cryptograms, and classification of plant viruses and viroids
- Propagation, purification, characterization and identification and genomics of plant viruses
- Symptoms of plant virus diseases, the transmission of plant viruses, viral and viroid diseases and their control
- Microbial viruses
- Three fundamental concepts in immunology
- Immune cell receptors
- Genetic organization
- Immune response and signalling
- Tolerance and autoimmunity
- Immunological disorders and hypersensitivity
- Transplantation and tumour immunology
- The nature of Genetic material
- DNA replication
- Recombination and Repair of DNA
- Post-transcriptional processes
- Post-translational processes
- Molecular basis of cell physiology
- Basics of DNA cloning
- Methods of DNA and protein analysis
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Construction of DNA and genomic DNA libraries
- Genome sequencing
- Transcriptional analysis of gene expression and transcriptomics
- Overexpression of recombinant proteins
- Analysis of protein-DNA and protein-protein interactions
- Protein engineering and proteome analysis
- Pharmaceutical products of DNA technology
- Transgenics and animal cloning
- Genetic analysis of bacteria
- Gene transfer and mapping by conjugation
- Lytic bacteriophages
- Gene transfer by transformation and transduction
- Lysogenic phages
- Gene regulation
- Introduction to industrial microbiology
- Downstream processing of microbial products
- Fermentation economics
- Production aspects
- Environmental Microbiology
Career Prospects of Doctorates in Microbiology
The doctorates in Microbiology has immense career opportunities once they complete their research program. After awarding the degree, the aspirants can search their career in the following areas:
- Forensic Science Labs
- Biotechnology Companies
- Food and Drink Industry
- Educational Institutions
- Pharmaceuticals Industry
- Environmental Agencies
- Healthcare Organisations
- Medical Microbiologist: the role of a Medical Microbiologist is to study the characteristics of the pathogens. Its transmission mode, infections and growth. Thus, identify the disease and suggests treatment.
- Microbiologists: Microbiologists conduct research projects on the development of new medicines to fight against the infections or improving the sterilization procedures.
- Biochemists: They research the physical aspects of living organisms, its hereditary, growth, cell improvements etc.
- Epidemiologists: the role of an Epidemiologists is to find reasons for sickness, find out methods to treat the existing disease and suggest measures to prevent the same from the future outbreak.
- Agricultural and Food Scientist: Here, the duty is to research the means for enhancing food productivity and the well-being of our society.
Other Job Roles
- Sr. Process Scientist
- Technical Specialist
- Medical Technologist
- Laboratory Technologist
- Microbiology Instructor
- Microbiology Trainee
- Microbiology Tutor/Teacher
- Quality Control Officer
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist