Doctorate of Philosophy in Mathematics (PhD Mathematics) is a research-based doctoral program. This program includes the extensive study of the quantity, space, numeric, structure and changes. The major concepts that include in PhD in Mathematics are algebra, literal equations, vectors, trigonometry, algebraic fractions etc.
Postgraduates in Science subjects or Mathematics can apply for this program. Doctorates have various career options in various field. They can work in wide areas like Complexity and networks, numerical analysis, Mathematical physics, Biomathematics group and so on. The admission procedures will be different for various universities and colleges.
Skills Required for the PhD in Physics
- For analysing the research data, its findings and also to derive results, the scholar should possess the analytics skills.
- Mathematical and logical ability is important for those who are pursuing a PhD in Mathematics. Because the scholars may face some problem where they have to create mathematical modelling, finding solutions to scientific problems etc.
- Communication skill is also important for scholars for interpreting and explaining the research results and problem with others.
Highlights of the Course
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Mathematics|
|Eligibility||Master’s in science or Mathematics|
|Employment Areas||Investment Firms, Commerce Industry, Business Industry|
|Job Type||Mathematician, Statistician, Cryptographer|
Doctorate Of philosophy in Physics is research-based Doctoral Program in Physics. This course can only pursue on a full-time basis.
Duration of the Course
The period of the program depends on the research topics and its feasibility. In a normal scenario, the minimum period for this program is three and the maximum is five years.
Eligibility of the Course
- The postgraduates in Mathematics or Science subjects with a minimum mark of 50% are the basic requirement for a PhD in Mathematics. The B.Tech graduates from any stream can also apply for this course.
- The M.Phil graduates in mathematics can also apply for the same. The Advantage of the M.Phil graduate is that he/she need not attend the entrance examinations and interview rounds for the selection procedures.
- In addition to that, they can start their PhD program without attending the course work.
Admission Criteria for the Course
- As already mentioned, the universities have their discretion to set the selection procedures. Some may admit the students who have qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
- Some universities may conduct entrance examinations and interview sections even for the NET or JRF holders. While attending the entrance examinations, the students should prepare from the areas like
- Abstract Algebra
- Complex Analysis
- Elements of Numerical Analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Partial Differential Equations
- Real Analysis
- The research scholars have to prepare their research proposal at the time of the interview.
- Some private institutions may admit student based on their marks in postgraduation and graduation.
Syllabus of the Course
The first six months of PhD program comprises of course-works that help the research scholar to understand the research concepts and the procedures that have to be followed in the research works. This course involves the study of statistical concepts related to quality assurance, designs, and inspections.
The major concepts that include in PhD in Mathematics are algebra, literal equations, vectors, trigonometry, algebraic fractions, word problems and so on. It also involves the research of various theories like asymptotic analysis, stochastic process, ordinary & differential equations, Scientific computations, probability and statistics etc.
Some of the subjects that are included in the PhD in Mathematics are as follows:
- Differential Equation
- Mathematical Finance
- Differential Geometry
- Discrete Mathematics
- Metric Space
- Computational Techniques
- English Literature
- Number Theory
- Computer Science
- Linear Programming
- Probability Theory
Career Prospects of Doctorates in Mathematics
Through this doctoral program, the aspirants will gain knowledge in accordance with the present economic and social scenario. It helps the researcher to improve their presentation skill which can empower them to find their career in various fields like:
- Educational Institutes
- Banking Sector
- Maths Research Centres
- Trade & Transportation Centres
- Military Schools
- Defence Services
- Stock Exchanges
- Ernst & Young
- Investment Firms
- Tiger Analytics
- TCS Innovation Lab
- Weizmann Institute
Professor/Assistant Professor: the doctorates can teach and deliver the lecturing notes to students for assisting them for gaining knowledge in this field of study.
Finance Manager: the duty of a financial manager is to review the financial reports, monitor and prepare the account reports, forecasts financial matters for business matters.
Cashier: they perform the cashier duties, select the right products, set up the store displays etc. the employers will provide effective training for performing these duties.
Loan Counsellor: loan counsellors work for a financial institution for processing the client’s applications, verify their information and also to come with an effective financial plan.
Subject Matter Expert (SME): doctorates will be an expert in their respective fields so they can work as an SME in mathematics.