A prestigious job that can provide earnings and aesthetic pleasure is Merchant Navy. The students after 10th class can join for this job area. We all know that the ships are important to carry out international trade as the majority of goods and services are traded through the ocean. a person in merchant Navy has to sail their assigned ships with utmost care so that the goods, crew and cargo can be reached safely. The job requirements, benefits and hardships are different for different ships. Container Ships, Bulk Carrier, liquid carriers, roll-on/roll-off ships, Passenger ship, Reefer Ship, Oil Tanker/Chemical Tanker etc… are various kinds of ships.
- Dec department
- Engine department
- Catering department
While joining for any course in Merchant Navy you should look for DG (Directorate General of Shipping) approved colleges and also sponsored by the Shipping Companies.
There are various courses for navy such as:
- B.Tech Marine Engineering
- B.Tech Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering
- B.Tech Harbour & Ocean Engineering
- G.P Rating
- Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME)
- Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)
- B.B.A. Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Higher National Diploma (Marine Engineering)
- Marine Engineering under Alternate Training Scheme
- BBA Shipping
- M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management
- Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)
- MBA Shipping Finance
- B.E Harbour and Ocean Engineering
- B.Tech Ship Building
- B.E Marine Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- ETO (Electro-Technical Officer)
- B.Sc Nautical Science
- Electro-Technical Officer Course
For the undergraduate program, the students should pass the 12th class in science stream with an aggregate mark of 60% from any recognised institutions.
For one-year diploma courses, the students should pass plus two in science and English subjects and for the 2-year diploma program, the students should pass the diploma course in Marine engineering, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Shipbuilding, Electronics engineering with an aggregate mark of 50%.
Applicants who have passed the 10th with an aggregate mark of 40% can apply for 6-month Merchant Navy Courses.
For MBA program the candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree from any recognised university or colleges.
For GME, the candidates should hold a B.E degree.
The candidates who are applying for Merchant Navy programs should meet the medical fitness requirements including hearing and eyesight and the certificate regarding the same issued by the concerned authority.
Candidates who have passed 12th class have to apply for the entrance examination for different technical courses in Merchant Navy. Some of the exams are:
· JEE Advanced
· IMU CET
· TMI SAT
· MERI Entrance Exam
Syllabus of the Merchant Navy Course
The subjects that generally come under various courses are:
- Mechanics of Fluids
- Voyage Planning and Collision Prevention
- Marine Electrical Technology
- Nautical Physics and Electronics Paper
- Electrical Machines
- Ship Operation Technology
- Marine Auxiliary Machine
- Principles of Navigation
- Marine IC Engineering
- Shipping Management
- Marine Boiler and System Engineering
- Maritime Law
- Naval Architecture
- Cargo Machine and Marine Communication
- Marine Heat Engines and Air Conditioning
- Marine Machines and System Design
- Environmental Science
- STCW and Ship Fire Prevention
Whatever be the posts, the candidates have to go for training programs conducted by the Maritime Training Institute after the completion of the Merchant Navy Courses. The duration of the course will vary from 6-month to 1-year.
There are various job positions in Merchant Navy such as:
- Deck officer (navigation officer)
- Catering & hospitality crew (pursers, stewards, chef, housekeeper etc.)
- Ratings – Ratings are skilled seafarers who help all the officers with daily tasks
- Electro-technical officer (ETO)