Digital Forensic is a scientific technique which helps to solve the complicated cases through the process of identification, preservation, extraction and the documentation of evidence by using digital devices & techniques. For this purpose, we use mobile phones, computers, networks or servers. In recent times the crimes like mobile-based crimes, ransomware attacks, phishing, network attacks, identity theft, and matrimonial scams have increased tremendously as technologies improve. Here, comes the importance of digital forensic or cyber forensic. The basic procedures that involve in digital forensic are:
Digital forensic can be divided into the following ways.
- Network Forensic: it analyses the computer network traffic to collect important legal evidence.
- Database Forensic: it deals with the examination of database and meta base.
- Disk Forensic: this will help the extraction of data from storage media.
- Wireless forensic: this will help to collect and analyse the data from a wireless network.
- Malware Forensic: Malware forensic will help to identify the malicious code.
- Email Forensic: this will help to recover and analyse the email details which are destroyed or deleted from the system.
- Mobile Phone Forensic: Mobile phone forensic will help to analyse and retrieve the mobile phone data such as call logs, SMS, videos, contact details etc.
Some of the crimes where the service of digital forensic has required as follows:
- Theft of Intellectual Property
- Inappropriate Use of Email or Internet at Workplace
- Regulatory Compliance
- Data Theft
A graduate in Information Technology (IT), Computer Application or Computer Sciences is eligible for the Cyber otherwise Digital Forensic courses. The courses that cover Digital/Cyber Forensic are as follows.
- Expert/Gold Certification in Cyber Crimes, Cyber Forensics, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- Advanced Certification in Cyber Crimes, Cyber Forensics, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- Universal Certification in Cyber Crimes, Cyber Forensics, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- Short-Term Certification Course in Cyber Crimes, Cyber Forensics, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- PG Certification in Cyber Forensics, Cyber Crimes, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- Specialized Professional Certification in Cyber Crimes, Cyber Forensics, Cyber Security & Cyber Law
- MSc in Digital Forensics and Information Assurance
- M.Tech in Cyber Security and Incident Response
- M.Tech in Information Security and Computer Forensics
The common subjects that cover under the digital/ computer forensic courses
|Fundamentals of Computer Forensics||Introduction to Computer History and Computers, Fundamentals of Storage, Basics of Computer Terminology, Windows & DOS Prompt Commands, Concepts of File System, Classification, Computer Ethics, Computer Input-Output Devices, Computer Storage, , Mobile Forensics, Computer Application Programs, Operating System Software, Software & Hardware, Introduction to Computer Forensics, Data Recovery, and Basic Terminology, Network, Internet|
|Cyber Investigations||Methods and tools used for Cyber Forensics Investigations, Email Recovery, Tracking & Investigation, e-Discovery, Collection and Preservation of Digital Evidence, Seizure and Search of Computers and Digital Storage Devices, IP Tracking, Password Cracking, Methods of Encryption and Decryption, and Extraction of Deleted Digital Evidence|
|Basics of Cyber Laws||Introduction to Cyber Crimes and IT Laws. Software Piracy, Cyber Pornography, Cyber Harassment, Social Engineering, Virus Attacks, Malware, Hacking, Email Scams, DDoS attacks etc|
|Data Recovery||Recovery of Internet Usage Data, Preservation and Handling of Digital Evidence, Introduction to the Methods and Tools for Extraction & Recovery of deleted, Analysis of complete timeline of Digital Files, Ethics and Procedures for Data Recovery, Documentation of Chain of Custody, File Access and Modification, knowledge of various Digital Forensic Toolkits, temporary and cache files, and formatted partition from computers and storage devices,|
|Cyber Security||Firewalls and Security Standards, Basics of Cyber Security, Software and Hardware-Based Security Measures, Reporting Cyber Crimes, Knowledge of Operating System and Application Attacks, Financial Frauds, Cracking Techniques, and Reverse Engineering, Analysis of Threat Levels, Formation of Incident Response Team,|
Career prospects of Digital Forensic
Aspirants who want to build a career in Digital Forensic can find jobs in both the public and the private sector.
Main Employment Areas
• Forensic Sciences Labs
• Regional Forensic Science Laboratories
• Crime Branches
• Narcotics Department
• Police Department
• Defense / Army
• Quality Control Bureau
• Intelligence Bureau
• Teacher / Professor
• Forensic Medical Examiners
• Forensic Expert
• Forensic Investigator
• Crime Scene Investigator
• Document Expert
• Document Examiner,
• Forensic Scientist
• Fraud Examiner
• Security Expert
• Forensic Analyst
• Handwriting Expert
• Scientific Officer
• Forensic Consultant
• Crime Reporter
• Forensic Engineer
• Forensic Psychologist
• Fingerprint Expert
• Investigating Officer
• Law Consultant
• Genetics Experts
• Environment Analyst
• Government Examiner